During late summer in Toronto, the amount of flies in and around homes and businesses increases tremendously. Fly control needs to be a top priority throughout the spring and summer, or it will come back to bite you come fall. What can you do now to prevent and get rid of flies?
Common Fly Species and What Attracts Them
There are a few common species of flies in Toronto that nearly all homeowners must deal with at some point. They include: house flies, fruit flies, and drain flies. These species are attracted to slightly different things, so understanding what they are looking for in food and a breeding ground, can help you prevent and get rid of them.
House flies are the most common type of troublesome fly. They are particularly attracted to human food and food odors. This can be particularly difficult to combat inside homes and makes sanitation efforts very important. House flies like to breed in rotten and decomposing food and animal feces.
Fruit flies are particularly prevalent in the late summer and fall because of all the produce that ripens and starts to decay. Fruit flies are attracted to sweets and sugary liquids. They are often found around overripe gardens, compost piles, garbage cans, and drains.
As the name suggests, drain flies are most common around drains where the organic waste builds up and creates layers of biofilm. This is where they like to lay their eggs. Drain flies are very small, but can be quite annoying flying around your kitchen. They also like sewage, septic tanks, and compost piles.
How to Control Flies
When trying to control the fly population, prevention is the best option. Once you have hundreds of flies swarming around your home and property, it will become much harder to deal with them. Overall, getting rid of flies takes sanitation, exclusion, and control measures.
- Cover and store all food properly in sealed containers or in the refrigerator
- Vacuum and sweep often to get rid of crumbs
- Clean up spills immediately
- Wash dishes as soon as you are done using them
- Take out the trash frequently and make sure the garbage cans have tight-fitting lids
- Clean up all pet feces around your yard
- Dispose of overly ripe food in your kitchen or garden
- Declutter your home and yard
- Seal cracks and gaps around the exterior of your home
- Make sure all doors and windows have screens and weather-stripping
- Keep windows and doors closed as much as possible
- Use fly swatters, fly baits, or electric fly killers
- Hire a professional pest control company
Toronto Fly Control
If flies have become a problem for you, call the professionals at GTA Toronto Pest Control. Our knowledgeable technicians can help customize a plan that will target the problem areas and get rid of the flies. We will earn your trust with our superior service and satisfaction guarantee. Contact us today for more information.