Mosquito bites are itchy and annoying, but they can also be dangerous. In fact, mosquitoes kill more humans in a year than any other animal. Here in Canada, West Nile Virus is the most concerning mosquito-borne disease. While the chances of being infected are still slim in our part of the world, taking precautions to prevent mosquitoes and avoid bites, benefits everybody.
Every year our backyards can become breeding grounds for swarms of mosquitoes. In order to breed and lay eggs, mosquitoes require areas of stagnant water. This could be a pond or swampy area, but it could also be as small as a container lid that filled up with rain water. Removing stagnant water around your property is one of the best things you can do to prevent mosquitoes. Here are some tips to try:
- Fix landscaping that causes water to puddle in areas of your yard
- Clean out clogged gutters and downspouts
- Add fish to backyard ponds or use an aeration system
- Keep your yard trimmed and tidy, and get rid of tall grasses where mosquitoes take shelter
- Take care of pools by adding chlorine and filtration systems
- Turn over or empty any items that collect water like old tires, pet food containers, flower pots, toys, or other debris
How to Protect Against Mosquito Bites
When you are outdoors during the summer, mosquito bites are always a real possibility. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to help protect yourself and your family.
- Try to avoid being outdoors during times of heavy mosquito activity like dawn and dusk
- Light colored, loose fitting clothing tend to attract less mosquitoes
- Wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts, and close-toed shoes
- Use an insect repellent that contains DEET or picaridin
- Repair or replace window screens that have holes or tears
- Seal cracks and gaps around the exterior of the house
- Make sure that all windows and doors close securely and have their weather-stripping intact
Toronto Mosquito Control
GTA Toronto Pest Control wants to help keep your family safe and comfortable. We offer mosquito control services, as well as treatments for ants, roaches, rodents, fleas, and more. We provide expert service to those in the greater Toronto area. For pest control in Vaughan, pest control in Brampton, or pest control in Milton, contact GTA Toronto Pest Control.