Ants are of variant kinds. There are more than 10,000 species of ants in the world. Besides, why one needs to learn about the types is because to curb ant infestation, one needs to identify the kind of ants and then use the appropriate procedure to kill them. In the GTA region, there are 4 common species of ants found.
Black Carpenter Ant:
These are the largest in size and most likely cause problems in home’s structure.
- Dull black color of the head and body
- Whitish or yellowish hairs on the abdomen
- Chews wood to build nest cavities
- Feed on sweets, eggs, meats, cakes and grease
Carpenter ants need water for survival. They usually enter moisturized places, or places with standing water. Branches, plants or trees are the major attractants because they chew wood to build up their nests. Little cracks or openings in the house need to be sealed to keep these ants out of home. If the infestation is above par, you immediately need to contact a professional pest control company.
These are most commonly found in various regions of the GTA. They can be dealt with and knocked out of the house with proper procedure.
- Dark brown to black in colour
- Very small size(around 3 mm)
- Feed on human and pet food
- Nest in concrete areas such as sidewalks, and in the foundation of structures
Pavement ants are very tiny. They can enter through the tiniest holes. Any cracks or holes in the exterior of your home must be sealed to ensure that the ants do not enter. Shrubs and other landscaping plants must be properly trimmed to prevent the ants from entering.
Pharaoh ants create problems by putting holes in fabric and rubber goods while making their nests. They also inflict a sting to intruders to their nests.
- Yellow and orange coloured
- Three-segmented antenna
- Extremely small size (1.5mm)
- Feed on a variety of domestic foods and other ants
- Build their nests in voids in walls, cabinets, and installation
- Multiply quickly
They are very difficult to eliminate. One needs to have high grade baits to remove them. These baits can work more efficiently if put by consulting and hiring an expert pest control agency. Particular locations need to be identified to spread the baits and proper hygienic conditions need to be followed.
Fire ants are an aggressive category of ants in the GTA region. They takeover another colony of ants who cannot fight back against them.
- Reddish brown in colour
- Large size (around 4-5mm)
- Two segments of abdomen
- Mid body has two backward pointing spines
- Feed on other insects
- The sting can cause red irritation to a severe allergic reaction
- Nests are built up in logs, soil, tree roots, or under debris
Fire ants are very hard to eliminate. Moreover, their aggressive behavior needs urgent attention. Thus, to remove these ants, a professional pest control company is the only effective solution.
Ant infestation can be a great nuisance. You need to get rid of it as early as possible. The above characteristics can help you identify the type of ant and the possible ways to kill it. If you feel the need to contact a team of experts for handling the pest situation in your home, give us a call now!